Brain Growth Mini-lesson
This mini-lesson introduces the idea of brain growth: how and what it means for our learning.
1) Give students the journal prompt: Write about a time you faced a challenge while learning something new. How did you feel? Were you able to succeed?
2) Explain that today's lesson is about the brain learning from mistakes, challenges, and failures.
3) Show this video on neuroplasticity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpfYCZa87g
4) Ask students to share their thoughts.
5) Tell students that now they will write a journal prompt about failure: When was the last time you failed at something? How did you feel? Did you learn anything from it?
6) Show the video on Michael Jordan's failures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc
7) Ask students to share their thoughts.
8) For their exit ticket, ask students to write one thing they learned and one question they have.
Time of year: Beginning
Class period: Anytime