My Favorite No
Sort through students' responses to a problem and find favorite wrong answer. Walk students through process of why it was a great mistake to learn from.
Resource: [Video] My Favorite No: Learning From Mistakes
This activity from Teaching Channel supports students in developing a growth mindset by normalizing and valuing mistakes as a helpful part of the learning process.
- Have warm up problem on the board when students walk in
- Hand out index cards
- Have students write answer on the card
- Collect and sort the cards
- Say yes/no aloud while sorting
- “We have quite a few yeses and some very interesting noes”
- “This is my favorite no” – “It showed some good _____(math)”
- Analyze good first: “Did some things that I loved” “What am I happy to see?” “What do I like?”
- Analyze mistake: “Now what is incorrect?” “Where is the mistake?”
Subjects: Math, English / Lit., Science, Social Studies, Other
Time of year: Anytime
Class period: Beginning